Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mountainscapes....

Everyone is making these landscape-vista-type cards right now. I've seen them on several blogs and other demonstrators have shared their samples in some of my groups. I made my first one in 2005 using a Sell-a-bration set. Here is that one. These look just like the mountains we see around our home--we live in the NC mountains. My friend Regina has named these cards "mountainscapes" and I like that name and will use it for mine.

This technique is made by tearing cardstock to resemble mountain shapes. You want to start about 1/3 way down the card and sponge on color BELOW the torn cardstock. Ones tendancy is to put color ABOVE the tear, but that's not right. Some people sponge on the color and some use the rubber brayer to applying it. I could not get my brayer to add color without lines in it and found the sponge worked much better for me (I had more control). Add your highest mountain range, then drop down with a different piece of torn cardstock--so the mountains have different peaks and valleys--and add your second range of mountains. Then drop to the third range, adding your green color, and finish off with a lighter green for the close up "ground" color. I say it's kind of like looking off into the distance and then slowly dropping your eyes to your feet.

For the top card, I started with Bordering Blue, then added Ballet Blue. then Always Artichoke, and finally Celery Green. To add the sun, punch a 3/4" circle in a piece of cardstock. Apply Barely Banana inside that circle until you have it dark enough. Remove the cardstock with the circle and add more yellow around the sun, for that afternoon glow. Finally sponge in some Bashful Blue in the sky and also between the different mountain ranges to look like our "Blue Ridge Mountains" or "Great Smoky Mountains"--like fog in the valleys.

You can stamp whatever grasses/flowers/weeds you'd like in the foreground and you can add some "tree leaves" at the top, as if you are viewing the mountainscape between some trees. I've seen views just like this from the Blue Ridge Parkway!!

I have one more to show--an "evening" mountainscape. I love this one, too. I used the same torn templates, but the colors I used are Almost Amethyst for the sky, Lavender Lace for the highest mountain range, Orchid Opulence for the next range and Rich Razzleberry for the bottom color.
To get the moon, you want to punch a 3/4" circle from a "sticky note" and tack the moon onto the sky, and apply Amethyst around it so the moon stays white.
Well, I hope these have inspired you. They are so fun to make. What's so great is that no two are alike--just as no two mountain ranges are the same. I want to make one with golds, reds and brown--a FALL mountainscape. I'll share it when I get it made. Thanks for patiently waiting for me to return to my blog. I've had a busy month with the grandchildren!! Smiles, Laura



1 comment:

I appreciate all comments you leave. If acceptable, they will be posted to by blog.